Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Suffrin' Suffragette! Ode to Election Day

When living overseas and discussing social issues, I commonly hear, "Well, we're about 20 years behind the US." And in truth, you can look at the state of girls' soccer here as current proof of that phenomenon. Sure enough, the US gave women the right to vote in 1920, and French women were accorded that same right in 1944, though they didn't get the chance to exercise it until April 1945, when World War II, the Nazi occupation, and the Vichy government had all finally ended.

It's interesting to note there are very few Western European or developed countries that gave women the vote after France -- the exceptions being Italy in 1945, and, quite frighteningly, Switzerland in 1971 and Portugal in 1976 (!). My mind boggles.  Don't even get me started on those countries in Africa (e.g. South Africa, 1994) and the Middle East (e.g. Saudi Arabia, 2011).


Perhaps it's no wonder that France was one of the last developed countries to fall (or really, I should say rise to the occasion), given how patriarchal it is; all titles, land, and inheritence historically went to male heirs. I have a friend who is not a Countess because her mother, even as an only child, could not inherit her own father's title of Count. Not that I think it's ruined my friend's life or anything.

The world seems to hold French women in about the same regard. In Thea Stilton and the Mystery in Paris, a book for children, the five heroine mice are the usual politically correct rainbow, with a variety of skin colors, hair colors, accents, interests and skills. We only have the French-language version of the book in our apartment, so let me translate:
  • Nicky from Australia. Passionate about the environment, can't sit still, hates confined spaces
  • Violet from China, wants to be a great violinist, loves to study, calms herself with tea and classical music
  • Paulina from Peru, wants to be a scientist, is altruistic and great with computers
  • Pam from Tanzenia, wants to be a sports journalist or car mechanic, hates conflict, loves pizza
  • Coco from France, pays careful attention to her appearance. But her big dream is to become a fashion journalist! She has a real passion for the color pink! She is very entrepreneurial and likes to help others! She is always late! To unwind, all she needs is to get a shampoo and a hair-brushing, or to pass some time getting a manicure!

And as horribly stereotypical as Violet is, I personally would still rather live with her stereotype than Coco's.

As of September 2012, France was #37 on a list compiled by the Inter-Parliamentary Union for percentage of women in the parliamentary lower and upper houses, with 26.9% and 22.2% respectively. Not only are they behind the countries you  might expect, like all the Scandinavian nations, the Netherlands, Germany, and New Zealand, they are also behind Spain, Mexico, and, more shockingly, Rwanda (#1 on the list with 56.3%!), and even Afghanistan.

But, my fellow Americans, don't get too smug yet. On the same list, the US is tied for #80 with 17% in the House and 17% in the Senate. Not only is the US soundly beaten out by France, and all the above mentioned countries, in terms of female representation, we are also below the United Arab Emirates, the Dominican Republic, the Philippines, and Pakistan.

So who's twenty years behind whom?

And if this posting seems remarkably neutral, for election day, with no hint of gloating or despair, that's because I'm actually writing it weeks in advance, because I will be traveling in Ireland over the first part of November (sign up to receive postings, which I'll start in mid-November).

I voted weeks ago in order for my vote to arrive on time -- signed, sealed, and sent via international mail, thanks not only to the battles fought by great women before me, but also to the great efforts of the Union of Overseas Voters. The real bonus is that I did not have to vote for 1,297 California propositions, the bulk of which I couldn't follow (if you vote negative to reject a repeal of something that is forbidden, what the hell have you just voted?!). I got to write in the props I care about, the Pres and VP, Senator, Representative, and I'm done. On the other hand, my vote probably doesn't count unless it's a Gore-Bush style cliffhanger (or, should I say, chad-hanger). Still, I voted, and that means I have the right to either a) breathe a sigh of relief or b) complain for the next four/eight years. I hope it's a).


I leave you with this piece of art, drawn by Gigi at age 8, which has been hanging up in our apartment for a while now. Get your mind out of the gutter. That's President Obama and the White House.


 

No comments: